Thursday, March 20, 2008

Well done...

As parents we try to teach our children the best we can. I have been taking a new class at church called "Creative Correction" and the biggest thing that I am getting from it is to use the Bible as my rule book. Now I have done this in the past and shown Tyler in the Bible where it says to "honor thy father and mother" when he is being defiant and "do your best in all things" when he isn't practicing as well as he should at piano. When I show him it isn't just something daddy and I are making up to torture him then he is more willing to follow the rules.

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't something I have to do every day and really we have very few times when this is absolutely necessary. His personality is such that he is a pleaser and will do almost anything to make you happy and lucky for us that means behaving. That is just how God made him, and we are thankful.

This morning I had another teaching moment.

He was going over to a friends house for the day because his spring break started and I had to work. I was giving him the remember to listen, obey, yes mam speech that we all give. I told him that this would make mommy very happy to hear he did these things all day.

I asked him "Do you know who else it makes happy?"

He smiled and pointed to the sky....God.

I said your right. I told him that God would have a great big smile on his face when he sees Tyler obeying and doing the right thing. I told him God would tell him "Well done my good and faithful servant".

Tyler looked puzzled and said"is he really going to say that?"

I said aboslutely!

"How do you know mommy?"

"Because it tells us in the Bible that when we do what God asks of us that is what he will say to us on when we get to heaven."

He had the most proud smile I have ever seen, and guess what......he had a great day!

No comments: