Friday, May 21, 2010

David

I am not going to put any pictures on here but I will tell the story.

Charlie and I had been praying about opening up just a little on our criteria for getting another child. We said if we don't step out in faith then we never will know what we are missing. Faith isn't sticking your neck out for something you know will happen it's sticking your neck out and waiting to see what God has in store. So that is just what we did.

It was Friday afternoon at 3:30 and I got a call from the placement agency. An 18 month old boy that had been in custody for 2 months needed to be placed into a foster home. He had been taken from his mother for reasons I won't go into here and placed in a foster home originally. Grandma stepped in and tried to care for him but it just didn't work so he was needing a new home - so they called us. After a lot of questions back and forth we agreed to take him in. Knowing his background I knew in my heart that it was just temporary. Everyone kept telling me that I was just protecting myself but it was a feeling I just couldn't shake.

David rocked our world. Our schedule changed, our routine changed, our lives changed. Charlie and I were in baby heaven but Tyler was struggling - a lot. He slowly started to spend less time with us, he really hated it when David cried, he was a mess. This was not a change I was expecting. Tyler was the one reason we were being so picky about what child we took in. Tyler wasn't adjusting to the changes well at all.

I had to do something but I just didn't know what. Then just as quickly as he arrived David was gone. Moved to another home. My gut feeling about it not being forever was right and it was OK. I was sad and relieved all at the same time. I know that he would eventually be reunited with his mother and that is where every child should be.

So we made another decision - the Rivers 3 it will be. We are not going to pursue adoption. We are done with it. We are happy with our stage of life and now can't imagine it with more than just Tyler.

We are finally at peace.......thanks to David.

No comments: