Tuesday, January 6, 2009

London isn't so bad

My Grandaddy has his good days and his bad days. Some days he knows who you are and some days he just can't quite figure it out.

Today was the latter.

When I went to see him he was just finishing his lunch, he had just pressed his button summoning someone to come take his tray away and I walked in. At first he thought I was just the lady coming in to take the tray away....after I came back in and sat down he just looked at me and said "well what do you want?" I knew at that point he didn't recognize me.
I told him who I was and he repeated it - but he didn't remember.
He asked who my mother was and I told him - still nothing.
He asked who my father was - still nothing.
He asked how many kids they had and I said 4 - a glimmer of hope shined through because he immediately said - "Yeah there is Allen - I know Allen, then there is Beth who lives in PA and then there is Rachel and she lives in NC then there is London. So which one are you?

London - my new name

The funny thing is - any other girl that goes in to visit him - They are called Lorinda.
He knows me - he just didn't remember that today.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

You handled that well, Lorinda. I know personally how difficult that can be.

~H

Anonymous said...

It must be so hard not to be remembered, but you know in your heart that he loves you and you have been there for him and with him through this all. He will remember and hold you in his heart forever.

patsy said...

I went in to see him the same day after work. He told me L____? (it wasn't London) was here. He asked how many children you had and I told him one, Tyler. He nodded his head. Mr. Shroeder, his roommate, told me my daughter had been in to see him. Mr. Shroeder takes care of granddaddy. I think he is beginning to realize he really does have dementia and it is getting worse. mom

Tabitha said...

London's husband was in the Navy. Sorry rin, had to make a funny out of it. I hope you know what I'm talking about :0)

And even though he didn't remember you at that moment he does love you.