Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tornado


This tornado was in Spring Hill! Lucky for us on the other side of Spring Hill.
Yesterday was a very intense day for us here in TN. We are all OK but I can't say the same for the folks about 40 miles east - an pretty big tornado reeked havoc on lots of homes.
I had the day off so I was home with Tyler and a friend who was spending the day with him. They were quietly watching Star Wars 3 when the tornado alarm went off. They panicked!
Me - I am Mrs. Calm and don't freak out about much. I turned off the movie and of course the satellite was not working so I loaded up the lap top to see where the storms were and how bad. They were insisting we head to the basement so we did.
The basement is on my parents side of the house and Papa met us at the door.
The boys headed to the basement and I headed to watch the news to see what we were dealing with. There was no immediate danger so they came up and watched with me.
Tyler loves this type of weather and was fascinated by it.
After a while the really bad storm started to hit. The hail came, the tops of trees were swirling and the boys and I headed to the basement. Within 5 minutes it passed and things were tossed and turned in the backyard. Papa said it was one of the worst storms he had seen. He decided NOT to go to the basement - he is a closet storm chaser I think.
While we were down there Tyler's friend asks - "Are we gonna die?" I answered - "No." "Do you promise?" "Ummm - No." He said "What! You are supposed to tell me that you promise and it is gonna be OK!!!" I told him I don't make promises I can't keep! That took the stress out and they calmed down.
Then we watched the coverage from the devastation for the rest of the day.....
Good times on Good Friday.

No comments: